Tuesday, July 17, 2012

National Parks Tour - KS and MO

Start Mileage: 146,673  Ending Mileage:  147,719  Trip Mileage: 1,037

Off on another hard riding adventure.  I'm riding up through Kansas to Missouri.  Next week I'll be participating in the Not Superman Rally.  It starts in St. Louis on Monday, 7/23, and last till the following Friday.  Should be good training for the big dance rally next year.  Check out the blog posting when it's published later on this week.



On the way to St. Louis I'll be picking up a couple of National Park Tour passport stamps.  Also, I'm plan to stop by at the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America 40th anniversary rally in Sedalia, MO.  The Houston BMW club invited me to their area to hang out with them. 

Saturday 7/21:
Heading into St. Louis today.  First stop is the U.S. Grant Farm and get a passport stamp.  Then head over to the NSR hotel and hang out till Monday morning.  So, check out the blog post above starting Sunday. 


Friday 7/20:
Had a quick continental breakfast I headed north to my first waypoint on the way to Sedalia.  Got to GW Carver National Historic Site around 1300 and secured the all important passport stamp.  Stopped at a Flying J for lunch and gas before heading to Fort Scott in KS.  Temperatures by this time were in triple digits again.  It was getting uncomfortable but I was still on top of managing the real problem....heat stress.  I alternated between low cal Gator Aid out of my drinking bottle and just plain water from my CamelBak hydration system.  By the time I arrived at Sedalia, site of the BMWMOA rally my desire to mingle with the rest of the bikers was waning.  I either spent $40 for the rally feel and sleep in my hammock in the tent city or head towards St. Louis and grab a nice air conditioned room at a hotel.  Guess which option I chose....yup!

Thursday 7/19:
Left home after lunch, naked spaghetti, and headed north.  Stopped at Lone Star BMW to get me a can of Plexus.  My objective today was to get north of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.  Man, it was hot today.  Got slowed down in rush hour traffic north of I-20.  Temperature on the superslab was 109f.  I was sucking down water every couple of minutes until the traffic started to speed up.  Oil temperature got hot as hell but not in the danger zone.  After breaking away from the Big D I stopped for the night in Denton at a Quality Inn next to "Hooters".  After a refreshing shower I walked across the street and checked out what they had on the menu in the way of chicken.  Wings were one choice but I also looked at the breasts, oh, and the thighs.  I couldn't decide so settled on a Shiner and chick strip salad.  Tried to update the blog after eating but the hotel wifi was less than quality. 

George Washington Carver National Monument, MO
Wilsons Creek National Battlefield, MO
Fort Scott National Historic Site, KS
U. S. Grant National Historic Site, MO
Gateway Arch, Jefferson Expansion Memorial, MO

I'll be using Spot Track on this trip.  I had to sign up for the service through Spot as it is required for riders in the Not Superman Rally.  Spot Tracking marks my location ever 10 minutes and kinda looks like I'm leaving bread crumbs along the route.  You can follow my progress on the SpotWalla map at the top of this page.


No comments:

Post a Comment