Saturday, August 22, 2020

On the Road to Recovery

Three months after the May 18th crash, I can see the day I may ride again.  Not at the level of long-distance intensity I was before the crash and maybe not as often.  The recovery from my injuries is slow but I am making steady progress.  As of this writing I am far from normal.  The primary physical limitation are the range of motion in my left arm, weakness in my right hand and wrist.  Physical therapy is on going and making good progress.  Cost of all medical treatments so far are over $175,000.

The Covid-19 pandemic has hit the long-distance riding community hard.  Rallies and events scheduled months, some years in advance have been cancelled or rescheduled.  The impact of the pandemic will last well into next year. So, I'm missing out on all the cancelled events.  

I may be riding again by the first of the year.   All my riding gear was trashed and will have to be replaced.  Thanks to State Farm I have the funds to buy all new gear.  I will take it slow and steady when I do start after 6 months of not riding.  The last thing I want is another crash. 

I am disappointed I was unable to complete my goal of riding the Janus in the 2021 Iron Butt Rally.  Even though the Janus was only slightly damage and could have been repaired easily, I could not continue to ride.  Nor, continue the aggressive long-distance training schedule I needed to put the motorcycle through before committing to ride in "The World's Toughest Motorcycle Rally."  I "re-homed" Gryffin #036 back to Janus Motorcycles in Goshen, IN.  Hopefully, the IBA members at Janus will continue riding Gryffin #036 long-distances.