The 40-40 Insanity: Wilmington NC to Barstow CA, all on Interstate 40, under 40 hours
Iron Butt Association legend Dave McQueeney has come up with another way for us to feed our LD OCD'ness. He has crafted the 40-40 Insanity challenge and honored me with the task of being the first to attempt (validate/evaluate) this proposed IBA theme ride. Dave has created many IBA certified rides over the years...
|Dave McQueeney, IBA #29|
- 50CC Quest - Coast to Coast in under 50 hours
- 10-10ths - 10 Days, 10 Thousand Miles
- 12 Ides (1000, Gold, Insanity) - 1,000+ mile events on the "Ides" (15th or 13th) of each month of the year.
- Four Seasons BBG PLATINUM (In-state BBGs on the 4 Equinoxes & Solstices, each in a different time zone)
- Four Seasons 50CC Quest (on the 4 Equinoxes & Solstices); also a different east coast state for each
- And now...
- 40-40 Insanity - Interstate 40 End to End in under 40 hours (Proposed, not yet published)
SpotWalla Map See I-40 Weather (courtesy GregRice.com)
RIDE PLAN - Nov 21, 0400 to 22, 2000 CST (0500 EST to 1800 PST)
The fuel range of my 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure at BBG ride pace is around 275 miles. I've plotted out pit stops along the entire route. This is to give me an idea of the spacing and to assign dwell time at pit stop. I'm plan to use the entire 40 hours allowed, while being diligent about arriving before the proverbial clock runs out. I have included approximately 4 hours of rest at the Pilot station on the east side of Amarillo TX. As you can see from the BaseCamp route data below, I have 1:00 of slack time given the pit stops and rest stop. SpotWalla track is also required for certification. I will be marking all stops using BubblerGPS Pro on my Samsung Galaxy S9+. The SpotWalla track is required under the proposed rules for this ride.
|Planned Pit Stops: Refuel, Refresh, Replan, or Repair|
|Garmin BaseCamp route data. Pit stops: 0.05 fuel only, 0.07 fuel and restroom|
All times in Central Standard Time CST
RIDE PACE STATISTICS: Click here for the full 40-40 Insanity Ride Report
- Total Miles: 2,563.7 GPS, 2,535 MC Odo
- Start: 03:49, 21/11 CST
- Finish: 18:33, 22/11 CST
- Total Time: 38:34, 66.6 Ovg MPH
- Moving Time: 33:50, 75.8 Mvg MPH
- Stopped Time: 04:44
- Pits Stops: 01:20 total, 9 enroute stops at 0:09 avg each
- Rest Stops: 02:50 total, 02:25 Amarillo + 0:25 AZ
- Traffic/construction delays accounted for approximately 0:35
- Fuel Consumption:
- Total: 70.9 at $208.28 for $2.94 per gallon
- Overall MPG: 36.2 miles per gallon