Thursday, December 16, 2021

GS Adventure TPMS Sensor Replacement

The rear Tire Pressure Monitoring System(TPMS) sensor on my 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure was becoming intermittent.  On my way back from the annual Pink's Bite the Weenie event the TPMS yellow warning light would come on.  Pressure reading for the front was normal but the rear was blank.  I suspect the OEM battery was wearing out, causing it to go offline intermittently.

The options are purchase a new BMW OEM sensor at cost of around $275.00.  Or, remove the BMW OEM sensor and replace the battery embedded behind melted plastic. The option I selected was to replace the rear TPMS with an aftermarket version available on Amazon at 2 AUTOKAY TPMS sensors for $37.00. 

I did some research on YouTube on registering new TPMS sensors to the GS computer.  In addition to the TPMS sensor I also need a sensor "wake up" tool.  I purchased that on Amazon also:  VXSCAN TPMS Relearn Tool El50448 Auto Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Reset OEC-T5 for $14.00.  By the way, the VXSCAN can also be used to "wake up" the GSA TPMS before riding, like using a tire pressure gauge. This can be very convenient, so I'll be carrying it with me.

Here's a picture of the OEM sensor, bottom, the new aftermarket sensor, top and the "wake up" tool.

I have the HEX GS-911 device.  It's a very handy tool to use with the GS to examine the fault codes, reset the "Service" due/date and many other GS related items.  

One of the functions available on the GS-911 software is to teach the GS computer to "Learn" the TPMS sensor ID.  Here's the YouTube video I used to register the new TPMS sensor to the rear wheel.  

Following the procedure in the video was straight forward and easy.  "Registering" the new rear wheel TPMS sensor worked the first time.

  

Here is a picture of the rear tire pressure after I taught the GSA TPMS to recognize the new sensor. I added some air to the rear tire to check for a change.  Looks pretty accurate to me!  What remains is a test ride to establish the rear sensor "waking up" under normal riding conditions.  










No comments: